Hijab No Hindrance for Qatar Sharp Shooter Noora

NEW DELHI:  Such sights are still quite rare in the shooting arena. So, as you bump into Qatar's trap shooter Noora Al Ali, the first thing that strikes you is her hijab. As the other shooters present at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range roam around the arena in colourful attires, this 30-year-old happily flaunts the hijab.

"It is extremely comfortable while shooting. It is freezing in Delhi now, so the hijab guards us from the winters too," she tells Express. Al Ali, who hails from Doha, has been shooting for the last nine years, wearing the hijab, and says there has never been a problem. "All women shooters in the country wear the hijab, and are pretty used to it. People may think it's difficult to shoot wearing it, but it actually helps us," she explains.

Noora Al Ali As she goes on explaining, one gets a glimpse of her other side. She is bubbly, jovial and certainly comes across as the girl next door. "I picked up shooting all of a sudden. In 2006, a new shooting group came up in the city and I just went to check what it was. I fired a few shots and the instructor said that I was good at it. So, I started shooting," she says. In just two years, she won the silver medal in the double trap event at the Asian Clay Shooting Championships in Jaipur in 2008.

And that was just the beginning. In love with the sport, Al Ali even quit her job with a hospital. "By then, I had realised that it is going to be difficult to live without shooting. So, I devoted full time to it," she laughs. "Even though my father was supportive, my brothers felt that I shouldn't be taking up a game that men play. But I didn't listen to them."

Apart from impressing in various ISSF events, Al Ali has also won a gold medal at the Qatar Shooting and Archery Championships last month. As she prepares to take a shot and adjusts the electronic target, she admits that the Asian Olympic qualifiers are going to be a tough one for the shooters from the Middle East. "The range here is quite difficult, and we need to check the targets. It is also freezing out here and the background is completely new. We are not used to such cool climate," she admits.

But that, however, doesn't stop her from dreaming big. "I train all over the world with many shooters. I have become friends with many of them. This is a chance to qualify for Rio. I will try," she says confidently. And, it's this indomitable attitude that keeps her going!


Related Posts To Hijab No Hindrance for Qatar Sharp Shooter Noora


Hijab No Hindrance for Qatar Sharp Shooter Noora Rating: 4.5 Posted by: ibusuliyem

Search Here

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Recent Posts